did i really do that?

I'm sitting here this Monday in my living room wondering if I really did that trip to South Carolina last week. I knew it when I returned that it would seem like a dream, but I didn't realize it would happen so quickly. As I type my sweet Samuel is resting in my arms, and sigh, that part of being home feels so great.

Starfish. For most of my week in Hilton Head I was like that creature -- embedded in the sand at the edge of the ocean. I just sat there and rested and thought about life and let my heart heal. There aren't adequate words that describe the feelings of and thoughts and joy of that week, but over the next week or so I'm going to try to capture just a bit of it in my writing. I want to remember.


no pics for the first set -- just my words as I describe my late night adventure home.

Flying next to a storm. That's what we did. As soon as our plane left Atlanta my dear friend Julie told me to look out the window. When I did I noticed an amazing thunderstorm. I vacillated between wanting to watch that glory at 30000 feet and not letting the fear of flying and flying by that storm take over. It was an unbelievable experience.

Turbulence and Chicago. That was the next step. I heard the pilot, as the plane was bumping around and the lightening flashed outside, announce that we'd be maneuvering through a couple of storm cells directly ahead. Now those clouds weren't looking so beautiful. About five minutes later, I heard our pilot announce that we'd be landing in Chicago and that the flight crew needed to prepare for landing.

We landed fast. (that needed it's own point -- and for those of you who fly you know what that was like.)

Tarmac. We sat there for a little over an hour -- we didn't know if we'd be sleeping in the airport (as all the hotels were full) or leaving. As the ground crew added more fuel (because we'd have to fly way around the storms) I watched an impressive lightening display outside of my window. I never knew what airport in Chicago we landed at -- but I did manage to sing a couple of lines from the song Chicago -- much to my friends dismay -- hee hee hee, how could I not sing that as I'm sitting in Chicago?  Finally, the pilot was cleared to take off for Minneapolis. As he lifted off I prayed and closed my eyes. That flight? The smoothest of all of them. The turbulence simply felt like the plane was rocking back and forth.  And then I was home. At 1:15 in the morning. I did it. I really did.

That last morning. I went for a walk and was greeted with the most amazing sunrise. As my feet wandered around the beach -- as I was looking for shells for my kiddos -- my heart was content and at rest. Throughout my week in Hilton Head I was being taught important lessons. Most ones that I couldn't have prepped for, and yet experienced. I'm looking forward to sharing how the Lord worked on my heart in South Carolina.


Unbelievable Low Country food. (just look at the picture -- again no words needed --man, the food was awesome in South Carolina.)


And an even more unbelievable meet-up. In Charleston. At the beautiful Poogan's Porch on Queen Street. With a now even sweeter and dearer and truly life-long friend. I can't wait to share more with you moreabout it -- and how the meet-up was truly a gift from the Lord -- and how it simply could not be a coincidence.  It's a touching and unbelievable story, my friends. Beautiful. Makes me tear up even remembering it.


The pig. And of course I need to end with an obligatory picture of the store (or a semi truck from the store) where we shopped in the South. No CUB Foods or Super Targets or Marketplace Foods. Nope. It was the Piggly Wiggly.  Love it. And now I have a 99cent Piggly Wiggly bag that I'll be using when we go to the library. Memories. And wondering how it ever got the name Piggly Wiggly. :)


I'm hoping to get back into my regular blogging schedule. Adjusting into normal life is a bit more challenging than I thought it would be -- I'm so grateful to be home -- and yet, I don't know what to do first -- and surprisingly I'm so tired (must have been that super long flying experience) -- and I'm still processing the trip. Thanks for sticking with me last week and my infrequent posts, and prayer requests, and chatting about the beach. You guys are the best.

Rachel

Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters