Why I NEED a spring break


my to do list

hee hee hee...what a title! 

But, it's true.  I NEED  a spring break.  I need time off.  To rest, to slow down and to get caught up.  As a homeschooling mom of seven my days are, shall we say, mildly crazy.  Actually, mild is too mild of a word.  They are simply busy, crazy, fun, stressful, joyful, sad, happy, and abundant.  All wrapped together.  And I am busy from the moment I wake up to the moment my head hits the pillow.  Interspersed are moments of calmness and joy, but mostly it's busy.  And work.

Work is good.  We tend to stick our noses up at work.  So often I hear, once they find out the size of my family, "how can you handle it all?"  Truth is...I work.  And I've learned to find and relish the moments of joy within the work.  In the process, the Lord has taught me that work, specifically work done for His glory, produces joy.  So I work...and enjoy it...and am grateful for it.

So why the need for spring break?  Well, I have many reasons.  First, I simply need the rest, the break from routine.  Our Father rested when he created the world.  He wrote a commandment about rest.  I need the rest.  My children need the rest.  Often I find that after this time they are more eager to return to the daily work...as am I.  Plus, it's like a spring cleaning of my mind.  And when I think clearer, our home functions better.  When I break the routine I begin to see life differently.  I can view what's working and what needs help.   I'm able to sit with each of my kids and truly listen, learn and discover what the need now and where their heart is.  When life is all about moving forward it's easy to miss the beauty in the everyday.  Spring break, while still having work, is a stop in the daily routine.  And in that stop I'm allowed time to look over the plan, the goals, and to rest.  To pray and listen.  To dig deep in His Word.

So, in that spirit, I've added some photos depicting some of the things I'll be doing this week.

Taking a break lets me catch up on all those things I "ain't" doing when I'm teaching.  Think washing the baseboards, or cleaning out the hosta plants, or switching the season clothes.  Those tasks.

ain't stuff

 to try to catch up on laundry.  (I can't believe I just posted this photo)

laundry

..to start a game at 10:20...

games

to look at beauty...

beauty

to play the piano...slowly...

piano

to read a book...or two...

books

To enjoy spring...

chalk

and to love...

family...love them

Maybe we don't all need a week off, but we do need time away from the daily grind.  I know I do. :)  Will I do this next week?   Yep. The laundry will be there, the piano available, etc...I'll just have new energy, new joy, for doing it. 

So this week is going to be a different pace.  Still work...yet restful.