a new opportunity....


I've been given the opportunity to try out for the Homeschool Crew with The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. What's that? It's a collection of bloggers that are given homeschool curriculum and products to review -- you know, test out on their family, and give an honest assessment.  After much prayer, I decided that I would continue to pursue the opportunity and see where the Lord leads it. It would be part of the homeschooling side of finding joy -- because that is a huge part of my family -- homeschooling {and curriculum} brings me joy.

*******

The Old Schoolhouse Store (TOS) sent me a copy of The Curiosity Files Blue Diamond (an 88 page e-book) for our family to review. Our unit study? On the Blue Diamond.  Okay, I admit, I was a bit skeptical about devoting days to learning about diamonds, but I knew I was going to give it a fair shot.  Needless to say, hearing Brennan ask me the second day if we were going to "keep learning about cool diamonds" was enough to prove me wrong.


The Curiosity Files -  Blue Diamond - was exactly that, about diamonds, but more specifically the rare blue diamond. However, it went much further than just describing the rarity of these colored diamonds -- did you know that for every 10,000 there is only 1 colored diamond?  And did you know how they're formed? An additional element, like Boron, gets in the diamond mix. The study also covers history, geography {where did diamond mining originate?}, science {how are they formed?}, vocabulary, writing, spelling, copywork pages, Bible Study, memory verses, math and more.


It was amazing.



As a mom who rarely does unit studies, but who always was interested this was an excellent start. I was blown away how a simple subject, like diamonds, could spring board to cover so many facets of learning.  I love The Curiosity File format because it provided all the text, with links and further references -- basically -- it was easy for me to sit down and learn with my children.  There were worksheets, and art projects, and notes, and math problems -- all with a diamond theme -- and yet still covering so many facets. {get it? facets?}


The Curiosity Files are available through The Old Schoolhouse Store and retail for only $6.95 each. There are many more that I know we'd be interested in -- specifically the Puffer Fish and Quicksand. {You can purchase a bundle package of nine for only $46.}

 I'm thinking I'd like those for the summer -- you know, for those days when everyone is just a tad bit bored and needs some direction and I need help finding it? This is a steal for all the information that you are provided. The study is recommended  for 8-13 years old. However, my seven year old, Brennan, who is now a diamond hunter {good luck with that in Minnesota} was very interested in learning all about the blue diamond. Especially the science and history aspects -- final fact -- did you know that the Hope Diamond was lost multiple times by it's owners? And that it's arrival to The Smithsonian was the most unusual? Anyone know how?


Pros? Ease of use. Can print out pages that I want. Bible Study portion.E book format. Wealth of information. Christian theme throughout. Easy and fun to read.

Cons? Printing it all out. In the future I'll simply read the book portion via the computer and print only what is needed. Also, if one is to print it out there is a great deal of "extra" printing due to the borders on the copy.


Photobucket


*******

I was provided a copy of The Curiosity Files - Blue Diamond E-book, valued at $6.95,  for review. If you'd like your own copy please visit The Old Schoolhouse Store by clicking HERE.