history

Life verses.

Every year I pray for a verse to define the year.  Then I handwrite the verse out on paper and place it on our door to the garage.  I look at it several times a week.  And I pray the words.

Today's Miscellany?  About my very first life verse.  And why it became to be.

1) 2 Samuel 22:2-4 -- The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; you save me from violence.  I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praise, and I am saved from my enemies.

2) Why?  First, you need to know that I have this small pocket Bible that I carry in my purse.  It's blue leather with a Celtic Cross on the cover.  And an etched in letter B -- thanks to Brennan when he was learning his letters.

my Bible
(sorry it's blurry -- I took the pic at night in bad lighting)

3) At first I was annoyed that Brennan wrote on my Bible.  But, now, as time passes, that little B with the two b humps not joined and the line way to long is precious to me.  And, honestly, it gives me perspective.  Sometimes the hard things turn to good.  It just takes time.

4) I underline and date verses that jump out to me.  I love looking back at dates in my Bible and remembering.  I love it even more when I open up my Bible to underline a verse and I've found it underlined.  Twice.

that's my Bible
and, yes, that's Philippians.

5) Almost all of Philippians 3 and 4 is underlined.  It is now getting difficult to read.  That's okay -- because I almost have it memorized.

6) Speaking of memorizing verses, did you know that in the time of Jesus that young children began to memorize the first five books of the Bible when they were five?  And, to think, that it takes a long time for me to memorize two chapters.  Priorities.

7) That verse in Samuel?  That's a life verse.  It's extremely meaningful to me.  It's date 12/19/05.  And written next to it, in shakey hand-writing are the words:

8) Todd's surgery

9) Almost five years ago.  You see, when Todd had his surgery for cancer I was at the hospital all alone.  I still cannot figure why I was alone -- actually I had with me then baby Caleb -- but I was alone.  There's this time when you leave your loved one as they go back to surgery until the time where the surgeon calls you back to discuss the operation.  This was written in during the first time.  I hadn't talked to the surgeon.  I didn't know the beast was cancer (although all the tumor-marker tests, ultrasounds, and lab tests were quite indicative of it being so).  All I know was that I was alone.  And scared.  So I prayed.  I prayed as I rode the clunky elevator down to the surgery waiting area.  I prayed as I clutched the round light-up beeper telling me that the surgeon wanted to speak to me.  I prayed.  And I asked the Lord for a verse.  I knew it seemed foolish -- open the Bible to a verse -- yet still I prayed.  And then my hand gripped that blue leather Bible (without the B at that point) and I simply opened it.  To 2 Samuel 22: 2-4

10) And I felt hope.  In the midst of a crowded waiting room.  While my husband was in surgery.  While snowflakes fell, and Caleb nursed.  I felt hope.  Not from me.  Oh, no, not at all.  From my Father, our healer.

that was my little Caleb
my faithful and brave boy

11) And that is why 2 Samuel 22:2-4 is a life verse.  Someday I will go into why each word speaks to my heart.  But, for today, I share the beauty behind the verse.  About the Lord meeting me in a hospital waiting room.

12) Now you also know why I have a Samuel.

13) He hears. He truly hears.  Why?  Because --  "Hear I am Lord,"  --was my exact prayer on that snowy, Monday morning in December.

The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; you save me from violence.  I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praise, and I am saved from my enemies.
2 Samuel 22:3-4

my Samuel

God's blessings on your Monday.  Remember to link up to Carissa's very lovely Miscellany Mondays.



Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters