reclaiming today

I've been a bit stressed these past couple weeks.  I've been planning our homeschool year.  Looking forward to what might work, and looking back at what didn't work.  Then today, after remembering September 11th from nine years ago I realized something --

In the process I've lost today.

In my prayers I've been reminded of several truths.

1) Time is finite.  Only the Lord knows the number of our days.  While planning and preparing has a definite purpose in life if it takes away from me being present then it must be tempered down.  I've written before about how I have the tendency to utter, "in a minute" to my children -- and then the minute never comes.  Keeping the idea that this moment, this day, is a gift in the forefront of my mind helps me keep perspective.  There's less "in a minutes" and more doing.

2) This too shall pass.  I was reminded of that phrase while blog-reading.  I came across a blog or an article in my homeschooling planning quest.  In that blog, the author talked about the phrase -- this too shall pass. (I'm sorry I don't have the article link.  If you are the author or know the author please inform me.) So often I've looked at those four words as words used in difficult and negative times.  Yet, just last week I was convicted to think of those words in all times. Good and bad.  Yes, I have many, many, many days that are challenging.  Homeschooling is hard.  It really is.  Being a mother and wife takes work. There's finances. And schedules.  Those things will pass.  But, this time will pass as well.  I've found myself stuck in overwhelm over daily life forgetting that this day, this time will pass. There's always tomorrow.  Or next hour. Antithetical to point one?  If they were side by side yes....but keeping the idea that time is finite and it will pass creates this healthy balance of being aware and present today.

3) Bible first.  It's so easy to start our days with what we think needs to be done.  Laundry, or academics, or cleaning, or even playing with our little ones.  But, honestly, Bible and time with the Lord needs to be first.  My main goal this year is to sit at the table with my children and simply read the Bible.  That's it.  No fancy curriculum.  No amazing flannel-graphs or prepackaged charts (although I must say that my chart of Adam's life was cool).  We're just reading verse by verse through the Old Testament -- and are being immensely blessed.  Did you know that the Lord fashioned clothing for Adam and Eve after the fall?  To me, and for my children, we found such tenderness in that act.  He could of let them run around in their strung leaves, but instead, despite their sin, he took time and made them clothing.  That's what we learned.  Together.

just had to show you part of our chart

You see, my friends, I needed to be reminded of the beauty in today.  Today might be my last day on this earth.  I don't want to spend my time angry, or worrying, or sullen, or moody, or ungrateful, or overwhelmed, or overworked, or crabby, or short-tempered, or forgetting.  I want to be alive.  I want to be grateful, loving, peaceful, kind, present, living aware of tomorrow, remembering yesterday and embracing today.

Today is a gift.  Use it wisely.