who's on first?

When my children wake in the morning, what do they see?

Do they see me ready to greet them with open arms?
   Or do they see me -- with my back to them -- on the computer?

Do they see me joyful?
   Or do they see me fretting, worried, or busy with my head down typing away?

Do they see me preparing for the day?
   Or all of a sudden racing around, complaining about all that needs to be done?

How do they see me?



This was our second week of school.  As the week wore on I started to pay attention to what first impression I gave to our children.  I noticed that my tendency is to get Samuel, to walk downstairs, and "quick" check  my email.  For 40 minutes.

That's not right.

They deserve more than just seeing my back.  They deserve more than just dry cereal plopped in a ceramic bowl splashed with milk. They deserve more. They deserve me.

Am I starting my day right?  Am I praying and dedicating the day to the Lord?  Or am I becoming a slave to media --- and all the things that I'm deeming important?  When, in reality, they are not the true important.

So what are the boundaries?

For me, I either wake earlier or stay up later.  I don't want the tone of our day to be set by my back turned to those seven blessings.  I desire to be aware and present for each of them.  Joyful to see them.  Managing the day.  Not racing around after my "quick email check" to get back on task for the day.

I putting my foot down.

Family first.  Media second.

Are these words antithetical to a blogger?  Absolutely not.  In fact, I believe appropriate boundaries will strengthen a writer.  They provide a framework, and make writing intentional.

So tomorrow, Monday morning, I will still be linking up to Carissa's Miscellany Monday, but I will NOT be doing it with my back to the kids.  Maybe I won't be linked till 11 pm, and that's okay.  Remember.

Family first.  Media second.

That's rightly ordered.