the return of color

June is one of my favorite months. It's a time when the world is washed in brilliant colors -- from the deep purples of petunias to the lushness of green grass to the vibrant fuschias of salvia to the sunset oranges of moss roses hanging from terracotta planters.


I love it.


It's refreshing to see the landscape bursting with vibrance after enduring months and months and months of freezing temps and white and brown.  It reminds me that there is beauty in life -- and that even after hard times, discouraging times, and bleak days there will come a day when color and beauty will return.


Perhaps that's why I garden. To touch the soil and add my own splash of color to the back yard. Or perhaps, on a deeper level, it's to cement in my mind that there can be joy and beauty found in life -- and to watch it grow. It's not easy. It takes work. And time.


So as I prune and plant and water and wait I'm reminded to look at life the same way. To let go of the worry and to have faith that those little seeds, those sprouts, with time will grow beautiful.


It just takes time.

He turns a desert into pools of water, a parched land into springs of water. {Psalm 107:35}