when the plans shift

I am not good at readjusting well. I like my routine -- I like my memories. And when things shift it's easy to sit in them and let that dampen the entire day or week.

The Suburban died -- you know, the big truck where almost my entire family fits and where we can cram loads of beach goodies and fishing poles and towels and stuff in it with a canoe slapped on top and a trailer behind.  And we leave in a couple days for vacation.

{last summer}

Initially, I wanted to just get mad and lament and sing the "why me and woe is me" song. And I did. A little bit. Then after I stepped back {and reread my purple petunias post} I was reminded that even with  the dead truck -- although incredibly inconvenient -- we are still going on a vacation. Maybe we're needing to borrow a vehicle -- and yet, that too, is a blessing -- that we have a friend willing to let our family of nine pile in it for a week trek up to the lake.Very brave, I might add.

{mustache man last summer on the boat}

Then this week, Elijah -- mustache man --, has been sick. With really vague symptoms. Sleeping a great deal, fevers, and strange pains. My mothering radar has been on overload for the last six months since Samuel has been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Todd had to remind me that kids just get sick and most of the time it's just sick. But, as days pass and it's only him under the weather and the vacation departure date creeps closer I feel that nervous anxiety.

Truth? We can still do vacation even if he's under-the-weather. There are doctors up in the beautiful north country of Minnesota. I can still mother and accomplish all I have to do. And all those to-do's -- the packing and laundry and sorting and organizing and cleaning -- are actually blessings. I just need to keep my mind aware of it as I race from thing to thing to thing to thing.

Remember the blessings, Rachel, remember the blessings.

So that leaves me sitting here this morning with a choice. I could easily complain about everything we have not fitting or being frustrated about the truck or worrying about Elijah or I could rejoice in the gifts that abound. In Samuel running around. That we are blessed with a vacation. That I have family -- extended family -- that vacations with us that I love to be around.

Sometimes having the plans shift helps regain gratitude.

And this morning, I am resting in grateful.

{the beautiful Kabekona Bay in Northern Minnesota at sunset}