lessons from starstuck

On Friday, June 24th, it will be a year since Samuel {yes, Samuel} was admitted to Children's Hospital to have an emergency endoscopy to have a sequin star removed. It seems so long ago -- so long -- especially with all the health crises that developed following that June.

I went back and read my post StarStuck and was brought to my knees. I forgot how close everything was for little Samuel way back then. And I saw and was reminded at just how strong Samuel already was -- almost as if he knew back then that he would need to be tough for the year to come.

{little Samuel last June}

And, I saw how we was already displaying symptoms of Celiac Disease last June. To think that it took until January for him to get diagnosed. So long. So so so long. I wish he didn't have to deal with it that long. That part hurts my momma's heart.

I remember walking into the local hospital {before we were transferred to Childrens} and telling the nurse that either Samuel swallowed something or he has something seriously wrong with his bowels.  That would have been the undiagnosed Celiac Disease.  That night, he had swallowed something. And that night, he also had Celiac Disease. But, I didn't know.

{Samuel in January}

What I do know? That the day of June 24, 2010 taught me and prepared me for January 17, 2011 when I walked back into the same Children's Hospital Emergency Room and into the EXACT room where I sat months prior. It prepped me. I knew what to expect, where to go, to advocate for Samuel, what to expect from an endoscopy and not to take life for granted.

These are some of my words from back then -- about a mother's intuition and trusting one self. I was getting prepared and stronger without even knowing why. I wrote:

The doctors and nurses were amazed that I  knew to bring him in.  They kept talking about mother's intuition and how they take it seriously when a parent come in as insistent as I did.  They told me that he really didn't have time to wait for me to just watch.  He was in right when he needed to be.

{Samuel this summer}

Samuel has been gifted with life so many times.

I am so grateful for that little man of mine. So grateful.

And I'm grateful that the Lord gave us mother's intuition and a fighting spirit.

So on this day, almost one year after, I give glory and thanks to the Lord. Once again, I will sing

Thank you for Samuel. Thank you.


To read Samuel's StarStuck story please click here.
To read about our journey with Celiac Disease please click here.