switching perspective

Samuel is starting to realize that there are foods that he cannot eat.

And he does not like it. Not one bit.

In fact, it makes him quite irritated. Mad. Annoyed. Sad.

And I don't like that. He's too little for me to reason with -- even though I try. I'll tell him how gluten hurts his tummy and makes him sick -- but sometimes he just gets frustrated.  And I get frustrated for him. How do you really explain Celiac Disease to a 21 month old?

So we try to eat gluten free as a family. But, that is expensive. Very, very expensive. And now, Samuel finds the gluten food and decides he should have some. So I tell him no. And he cries.

And that really hurts.

Then I remind myself that it could be worse. That there are still lots of foods that he can eat. That he's alive and healthy {as long as he doesn't eat gluten}. That I need to be grateful. Really, really, really grateful.


So I look at those eyes and in learning to be grateful for the things Samuel can have and can do it reminds me to be grateful for so many other facets of things in my life. Maybe I don't have the family room furniture that I desire -- but I have a family room. Maybe we don't get to go on all the fancy vacations -- but the yearly trip to the lake is our favorite. Maybe my house isn't always clean and spotless -- but it is full of adventure and love and laughter.

Sometimes it just takes switching perspective.

And looking at the good things in the midst of the hard things.

And letting the good win.

Off to find those gluten free cookies for Samuel....