the real important

the day was a blur

there was so much to do
writing and deadlines to finish
dishes spilling over the counter

crumbs to sweep

I kept moving
from thing to thing to thing
I'd clean one area and just as I was done
another one needed my attention

it felt urgent

necessary

important

then little Samuel walked over
with his nuk dangling from his mouth
{that i'm trying so hard to break him of}
and his green soccer ball shirt
with the cute plaid shorts

he could see the broom in my hand
and rags in the other

but he didn't care

he didn't see the watermelon stains dotting the floor
or the dishes to be unloaded
or the papers to be tidied

he just wanted a hug

to be in my arms
rest
safe

as I gathered him in my arms
it became so clear to me
LET HIM END THE HUG
not me
with my rushing agendas
and pats
and quick I love you's

so I stayed

and stayed

and stayed

and stayed


as the afternoon light shone through the window
dancing off of our embrace
it was Samuel and me
resting

with now not so important work around

so I let him end the hug
when he was ready

and I was blessed.