the sacred in normal


Our family lost normal.

For a month everything was turned upside down. 

Sickness and worry clouded our days.

  I knew that the sacred, the beauty in normal needed to return.


Simple joy.

Candles lit lining our table.

The red catching in the morning sun.

Marking this space as wanted. Needed.


Nothing else changed. 

No new books or schedules or plans.

Just candles. Flickering light.

Celebrating life.

Learning.


The crayons were still there. 

 A waffle here, my coffee there. 

 The table was full.

My mindset had changed.

The table wasn't cluttered anymore.

It was beautiful.


I had forgotten normal.

When Samuel was so sick I wanted to be able to sit at the table and learn with my children.

Yesterday, finally, I did.

And

It was glorious.


In the holy hush of the early dawn
I hear a Voice
"I am with you all the day,
Rejoice! Rejoice!"
(George MacDonald)