quietness

There's a beauty in quietness.  Not quietness as in those moments of peaceful, lovely silence (which is a rare thing in my home) -- but quietness in service.  I see a tendency in myself to want to proclaim the good things that I've done -- or said -- or intend to do.  Yet, there is a power in restraint.  In serving without the other knowing.  In befriending out of love.  In speaking well of others.  There is beauty in the quiet.

We live in a culture that screams look at me yet, deep down, I'm starting to desire, to crave, the joy of serving as an act that brings glory to God.  Not self.  And often, that type of response does not receive the pat-on-the backs and way-to-go's that the world offers.  Instead it's an intimate heart connection between the server and the Lord.

Service becomes praise.

Service becomes an act of love.

Service becomes beauty.

Service deepens the relationship with Jesus.

Service is joy.

It's no longer defined by society's norms.  It's instead simply done to bless another.  To encourage.  Without all the fan-fare.  That's where my heart is now. Simply quiet.