joy


That doesn't look too joyful. 
Darkness.

There was a huge storm system that swept through Minnesota this evening.  At 6 pm skies were blackened, tricking the mind into thinking it was later. Rain pelleted the windows, and the trees swayed wildly.  There were numerous tornadoes and funnels throughout the area.  In my neighborhood the siren rang multiple times.  I knew I was to go to the basement -- like my children -- and yet I stood at my back door.  In awe.

I stared as clouds swirled in circles, dancing a dangerous waltz.  The utter power of nature, of God, mesmerized me. Then, in the midst of turbulence, complete calm.  The trees in the back yard stood straight, while the trees in the front bent as if bowing to the ground.  I knew I should move -- downstairs -- but I still stared.



It's so easy to start believing that we can control everything.

And yet, there's more. There's real power. Not from ourselves, but from our God. The God of power. A power infinitely more powerful than this storm that we label as power. And that brings me joy. Joy to know that my God, our God, has power beyond my imagination. Joy to know that He can still a storm with just two words.  Whispered. And coupled with that power? An infinite love for you. For me.

And that is reason for joy.





He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves,
"Quiet! Be still!" 
Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. (Mark 4:39)