Sanity for the vehicle

My family is in the truck many times per week.  Driving to ballet. Driving back.  Driving to homeschool classes, grandmas, or church.  We are moving.

Let me just state this -- it is hard.  Hard to load everyone up (especially in the winter), hard to keep them happy, hard to keep going.  So what keeps me going?

My Car (or truck or van) Sanity Tips


1) A beverage of choice for mom.  Mine would be coffee.  However, many times I'll just take water with.  It helps me think and calm down especially if there is a great deal of NOISE.

I know you've seen this -- but it is so true --coffee helps

2) Books on CD.  Our family's favorite?  Anything narrated by Jim Weiss.  Just today we were listening to tales about giants.  Brennan, my six year old, loves these stories.  His favorite?  A tall tale about Finn McGoul from Ireland.

current choice
3) A clean vehicle.  Seems obvious, but I'll tell you -- if my vehicle is a mess it makes the crabbiness level in me rise several notches.  I've made it a point to clean out the trash whenever I get gas for the truck.  And I try to vacuum it out every two weeks.  Clean truck = happy mom.

4) For really long trips?  The Nintendo DS or a Leapster.  I know, I know, I know.  That advice coming from  me?  But truly, a half hour of media really saves me.  It is just too crowded to have them go hysterical. Or me.

5) My misbehaving trick?  For every minute that I have to use disciplining it equals a minute of sitting with me in the truck when we arrive at our destination.  This truly works.  After all, who wants to arrive at Grandmas, or Dairy Queen, or the park and have to sit in the truck with me?  Not that I'm not great, but you get the picture.

that's Elijah -- not too happy

6) The old classic games.  ABC game (where you find the letters), I Spy, or where we make stories based on where we're driving.


What car tricks do you have?  I'd love to hear.  I'll take any advice. :)

Oh yeah.  One more thing.  I've been known to pull over and pray.  That always helps.  And gets the kids attention.