no, I'm going to say yes.

Mom, can I come with? 
not today

Could I have a snack?
not right now

Mom, would you read with me?
no, later

Mom, would you play a game?
not at the moment

Can we paint?
no, it's too messy

Would you go outside with me?
no, I've got laundry

What is wrong with me?
Where in the world did my YES go?

Yesterday, I listened to my words. I kept close attention to the automatic no's that came from my mouth. It is my natural tendency to say no -- before I even listen to the question.

So yesterday, I chose to intentionally sprinkle my no's with yes.
{because after all there are real reasons to say no that need to stay.}


Caleb came to me at 5:34 as I was running quick to the store to get extras for dinner.

Mom, can I please please please come with?

My mouth started to form that no word and I stopped.

Yep, Caleb, go grab your coat.

That sweet boy.

He grabbed his coat, flung it on, velcroed the worn and in-need of replacing black shoes on the wrong feet, looked at me with eager eyes, and grabbed my mittened hand.

We were just going to the grocery store.

But, for him, this was the adventure. A big deal.

And I almost told him no.

So as we walked through the Coborn's Market  he kept talking about how this was the best day ever. {which if you knew him is his trademark phase -- that and the worse day ever, which he might utter if I tell him to eat all the veggies on his plate.} We walked to the natural food section and began to look for some gluten free snacks.  Once he spotted these over-priced gluten free, yet made with juice, gummy worms he was set. He wanted those gummy worms.

So I told him yes.

I don't think that grocery store ever saw a happier boy wandering around clutching a $2.99 bag of gluten-free gummy worms talking about how he was so glad they were gluten free.

Ever.

We got to the car, and I opened those worms, and he pulled the first one out for me.

I wanted them for you because you don't eat gluten, mom.

And to think I almost missed it.

Let me tell you.

It was worth it.

*******

Where are your automatic no's? 
Do you need to surprise your kids? your spouse? your self?
 with a yes?