the crumbs can stay

I saw the kitchen needing work. There were breakfast dishes piled high in the sink, and a floor needing to be swept and mopped, and counters sprinkled with cereal crumbs and smears of jelly. It was late. Our morning jobs -- which should be done before nine -- hadn't even been started.

I felt myself getting annoyed.

Didn't the chores come first? I could feel the aggravation rising as I walked through my half done and not so spotless kitchen.  I was ready to get everyone working on what I thought needed to be done.

Until I saw this.

Photobucket

The dirty counter didn't matter -- in fact, it seemed awfully petty all of a sudden.  So what that we're a bit behind schedule. That didn't matter.

The relationships matter.

The bonds between a 13 year old and her 3 year old brother make life impressions.

Those daily duties? Yeah, they'll get done, in time. And you know what? That kitchen will get messy again -- within the day. But, today, at this moment in the morning, I'm glad -- I'm grateful -- that my sweet Chloe chose to say "no" to the work and "yes" to her brother. That matters.

Humbled. Again.

Taught by my own.