see this sweet guy?

He's Caleb.


And he's independent.

And this morning -- I almost forgot to see the good, the strong, the independence.

Instead I saw what I thought was wrong.

We were in those last minutes before church. You know those minutes -- crazy times -- running around looking for that lone lost shoe, and rushing kids up to the bathroom {even though they'll ask to leave during the sermon}, and quick bites to eat.  Caleb was hungry so he decided to get himself a bowl of cereal. With sugar.


All I saw was spilled sugar.

I almost blurted out some annoyed words about the trail of sugar between the cereal bowl and the sugar bowl. But, for some reason I saw that face and had a moment of pause.

I was only seeing what I deemed a mistake, not the independence. The good. The growing up.

Why was that 1/4 teaspoon of sugar all I saw? Why did that become the important?


For that split second when I realized the truth my heart stung. I realized that instead of praising him I was so close to getting after him. He wasn't being careless -- he's five -- he was trying to help. Be independent.


So instead I told him great job, and that he's such a helper, and how proud of him I was.

Next thing I know, without me even asking or mentioning it, he went and got a paper towel and cleaned up the sugar {and yes, most of it's on the floor}. He sat down, looked at me, and smiled. A proud "I did it" type of smile.

Thank goodness that we as mothers get those moments of clarity.

I just need it more often.

****

When have you had that moment of sweet clarity?