the gratitude challenge

Several weeks ago my husband challenged me to change my thinking.  He asked that whenever I get worried about something that instead of sitting in the fear that I turn it to thanks.  For example, if I was worried about finances I would recognize the worry and then thank God for providing for our family and for His abundance.

I fought doing this.  Like crazy.

I wanted to sit in my worry -- because I knew all the answers, right?  And slowly, I found that instead of trusting I was becoming a bit pessimistic.  And this, my friends, goes against my nature.  So Todd, my husband, asked me again to praise whenever I was fearful.

I fought doing this.  Again.

So I'd find myself awake at 2am while the rest of my family slept.  Then when I'd awake, I'd be crabby -- fearful.  I'd storm around the house, muttering my dissatisfaction with everything -- thus creating such a mood of discontent.

Then finally, I decided to try.

When anxiety welled up inside -- health, or how to afford homeschool supplies, or job ops, or more -- I just praised.  I thanked our Father for what He has already provided and what will be provided.  And gradually, I felt the robes of fear begin to fall off.  I was looking at my plans, my agendas, my goals and was becoming discontent when they weren't what I expected. Or wanted.  I had been comparing myself and thus losing my contentment.

Until those days of thanks.

I had been so full of self and my own wants that I forgot to see what I was blessed with.  Even though things might not be what I always imagined, I am still greatly blessed.  I have a home, wonderful children, a faithful husband, food on my table, good health, a husband in remission, great neighbors, excellent friends, freedom to worship, freedom to homeschool -- how could I forget all these?

I had forgotten because I forgot the need to be grateful.

Today, can I challenge you to post a comment of one thing that you are grateful for?  Perhaps it is even simply blogger -- there is great freedom in our ability to express ourselves. This a freedom that many do not have.  Or for your health.  Or your kids.  Or your spouse.  Or our country.  Whatever it is -- give thanks.

And I pray, that your words and ponderings about gratitude will fill your day with joy.

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.
My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.  Psalm 28:7