those hidden treasures

I have this bowl.  When my grandmother died, there were a collection of bowls that I was blessed to receive.  There was one bowl, a bowl that no one really wanted -- that I took.  I brought it home and dubbed it my "scrap bowl" -- the bowl that I put all the garbage and scraps in when I cooked.  Gradually, I learned to love this little, not-wanted bowl. 


Then yesterday, at a family reunion, I found out that my bowl was a collectors item.

That people pay large amounts of money for my scrap bowl.

And I started to laugh.

Isn't that how life is? The real treasures tend to be overlooked, shunned, and pushed to the side. Maybe it's a loved one -- instead of focusing on their good traits all we see is what they do wrong.  And then, one day, our eyes are opened to their beauty.  But at what price?

We are no better than that bowl.  The world defines us as worthless, without price or value.  We don't measure up.  We don't look as good.  We don't have enough money.  We don't. We don't. We don't.  Oh, how easy it is to allow those We don't statements to define us.  Then we are defined by the world.

But we are hidden treasures.

In the Lord we are like that bowl.  Priceless.  Beautiful.  His treasure.

So, the next time I chop my tomatoes, or make salsa -- which is what is in that bowl now -- I'm going to thank my Lord that He sees me and He defines me.  Not the world. Their labels are worthless. His?  Priceless.

Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Luke 12:7b

(Interested in my bowl?  It's a TEXAS WARE 111 bowl.  And I love it.)