logistics

There are certain logistics in my house that need attention.  I don't know if it is just me, or having seven children, or too much stuff -- but I need a new system.  A plan. A hug.

Here they are -- in no particular order.

1) Shoes.  We have a teeny entry closet and enough shoes to outfit an army.  Sandals.  Flip-flops. Crocs. Tennis Shoes.  Sport Sandals.  Ballet shoes. Boots. Church Shoes. All times nine. Well, all except the ballet shoes. I have no idea what to do with all these shoes.  Besides our current strategy of throwing all the shoes into the closet, creating a pile as tall as Elijah and quickly, and I mean quickly, shutting the door.

a sampling of shoes outside of the closet

2) Recycling.  In our city they only pick up recycling every other week.  We produce a fair amount of recyclable products.  In fact, it is slightly funny to watch us haul not one, not two, but three or four loads of recycling down to the curb every other Tuesday.  Honestly, by the time the end of the two weeks is coming I tend to just chuck the glass into the garbage.  I've got an order in for the recycling can from the city.  But, sigh -- I'm sure we'll fill that as well.



3) Papers.  Papers.  Papers.  Homeschooling, bills, mail, catalogs, drawings, maps, construction paper -- it never ends.

4) Email.  My inbox currently? 1037 new messages.  Seriously.  Now, before you think that I am insanely popular, let me tell you that in that group are probably 52 messages that I really need to read.  Then they get lost.  In between my notification for winning 2million dollars, and the ad for Kohls and Bath & Body, and the  freecycle notification, and the facebook status replies, and sigh...

My Hotmail Stats
Hotmail
Inbox (1037)
Junk (21)
Drafts
Sent
Deleted (75)

5) Samuel.  Laugh -- here's my logistical prob.  We have no way of properly gating our stairs.  The stairs leading downstairs have a gate bungee corded to the one side.  The stairs up?  I have no way of gating them.  And now, Samuel's new obsession is climbing those stairs.  In the time of writing this post we've had to retrieve him from the 3rd step going up five times.  And, I've only been writing ten minutes.  How do I gate those stairs?

(just had to put this CUTE pic of Samuel up)

6) Laundry.  Feel free to read any of my previous posts regarding laundry.  Hold on -- I need to go grab Samuel -- okay, back.  My new solution to laundry is to have laundry day on -- Monday, Thursday and Saturday.  I can wash and dry, but I need to develop a love for folding and putting away.  I'm learning patience and perseverance.

Laundry Posts


ok.  There you have my logistic dilemmas for the week.  I'd love to hear how YOU handle these constant needing attention areas.   As the years go by I've learned to throw and donate more and more things.  Anyone need any shoes? ;) I've got some extra....