uncooked noodle

That's how I've felt.

Inflexible.

Brittle.

As I prepared dinner several nights ago, on a day where my body was worn, I paused as I watched the boiling water on my stove.  I held some angelhair noodles in one hand and as I dropped them into the churning water I began to realize how I was like that uncooked noodle. As soon as it hit the water the noodle immediately changed shape -- it became soft, had energy, and moved easily.

Unlike me.

Due to the lack of water in my life I gradually became worn -- and quite easily broken.

And I'm not talking about 2 parts hydrogen to 1 part oxygen here.

I'm talking about living water -- life from the Lord.   Sadly, many days I'd wake up and continue on my day with my old strength.  Slowly my gaze shifted to things of this world.  What wasn't done. What I needed to do.  What wasn't right.  What wasn't working.

I needed life.

If anyone is thirsty let him come to me  and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.  John 7 : 37-38

But how?  How with life with seven kids?  With homeschooling? And ballet? And being a wife?

I'm tired.  Really tired.  I've got sick children (yes, they're still sick).  And bills to pay.  And chores.  When, Lord, when?  How to do this? 

I had convinced myself that the only way to "properly" give myself life was to set aside 30 minutes in the morning.  A quiet time.  I failed --  Miserably -- day after day.  It became impossible to rise at 5:30 when Samuel had just been awake at 4:30.  So I prayed.  And through those prayers, and words from others at opportune times, I began to realize that for this season, in my life, time with the Lord might not be that 30 minutes in the morning. And that was okay.

It might happen while I do laundry.  Yeah, laundry.  We've all got it, right?  Maybe I listen to my Bible instead of read it.  Maybe I pray while I fold.  Sure, there's not the serene atmosphere of an early morning study, but it is real.  

And sometimes in realness there becomes rawness and then authenticity.

So I leave verses scattered about my home to meditate on.  I study the Word with my children as we read our Bible in the morning.  And I pray throughout the day.  Not the long prayers that I could pray before I had children, but rather short prayers.  Of thanks.  Of need.  For encouragement.  And strength.

And life, real life, began to flow back into this tired momma's heart.

God met me through daily life.  

I still long and look for longer moments of quiet time.  Deep down, I know that time will return.  My kids will grow, my home will quiet down.  But, for now, the Lord has graciously shown me that He is there in all times throughout the day.  I just needed to align my heart with His.

Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers.
Psalm 1: 1-3


Be encouraged friends -- be encouraged today. Find joy, real joy, in Him.