cast on - over and under - cast off

For several weeks my Gracie has been begging to be taught how to knit.  Finally, last night, I sat down with her and began the process of teaching.

Through, around, over and off.


She was determined.  She'd sit there and not complain.  Though dropped stitches, added loops, and more.  She persevered.

Then, today, less then 12 hours after learning she presented me with this scarf.



And promptly asked for more yarn.

I love that creating occupied her time.  Not video games, or television -- but using her hands to make, to create.  She told me - mom, I love to knit, it's so relaxing.  It's ironic how the simplest tasks can bring the greatest joy.

I wish I had sat down with her weeks ago.  Despite that, I am grateful for the hour that I intentionally sat next to her on our couch coaching her and encouraging her little hands.  I remember thinking about how this task is a task passed from generation to generation.  And I was thankful.  So thankful for that sweet gift of time.

And now, today, I'm off to find more yarn.