confused clarity

wake up
get breakfast
change the kids
clean the kitchen
start laundry
get dressed
teach the kids
answer the phone
drive
teach
start lunch
clean the kitchen
teach
read
drive

what's life?

what's joy?

I'm tired.  And confused.  Lest you think this blogger has her life tied up neatly with a giant organized bow -- I am here to remind you that I, too, have those exhausting days where I'd love to chuck the unthrowable towel in and ask for a break.  (how's that for a run-on sentence?)

The daily grind. 

I want to laugh.  To smile, to feel free, to sleep, to live.   Yet, the daunting pile of  laundry stirs agitation in my heart.  The stack of schoolbooks shoved against the wall creates guilt over all that isn't complete.  There's dishes needing to be washed, and toys to be placed in boxes--only to be dumped out again in the morning.  There are bills to be paid, and things to buy.  Too much for this momma to handle.

At least for tonight.

God's mercies are new every morning.  I've allowed overwhelm to overwhelm me.  I've been looking at the temporary, the present -- forgetting that tomorrow I'll fold that laundry, and we'll pick up those books, and use those dishes -- and those toys?  They'll be played with.  Would I want it any other way?  Nope.

So I fall on my knees grateful.  Even though I've allowed overwhelm to win for a bit.  And gradually all of the anxieties of the day fade away as gratitude fills those aching places.

Thank you for letting me wake up.
Thank you for food for breakfast
Thank you for diapers for the kids
Thank you for a kitchen
Thank you for clothes for the laundry
Thank you that I have the physical ability to get dressed
Thank you for the freedom to teach the kids
Thank you for the phone
Thank you for a vehicle to drive
Thank you for kids to teach
Thank you for food to start lunch
Thank you for the beauty in a clean kitchen
Thank you for the time to teach
Thank you for books to read
Thank you for the sun while I drive
Thank you.

How could I have forgotten to give thanks?

It was about me -- not you, Jesus.  You have blessed me greatly.  So greatly.

Thank you, Jesus, thank you.