looking in the blues


Someday he'll be too big to hold in my arms.

Someday he'll want to walk, not to be carried.

Someday he'll live on his own, away from me.

Someday he'll love someone else.

But, I'll always be his mother.

I'm the one who bandages his scrapes.  Who kisses to make them better.  

I'm the one who tells him stories.  Who listens to his.

I'm the one who he goes on a walk with.  Who ties his shoes.

I am blessed to be mom.

***

Sometimes I need to step back and look at life.  I have to pull off the blinders of a busy life and re-evaluate the important.  I have to let go of self -- and embrace the beauty in the gift of being mom.  It's not glamorous. Yet, in the same breath -- it's beautiful.

My children, all seven of them, are gifts to me.  Right now, my job, my role is to be their mom.  Full-heart. So today, I plan to rake leaves for them to jump in.  I'll cook and clean and fold laundry and play and laugh. Without resentment or bitterness -- you know, the kind that thinks about how I just folded laundry or cleaned that room or washed that floor.  All of the duties and chore could rob me from the joy of being mom.  And, often, I allow myself to be overwhelmed in the daily and forget the big picture.

I lose sight of this temporary time.  This gift of childhood. This time where they will rest in my arms.

Look at my Caleb's baby blues.  He didn't care about his surroundings then -- he wanted my arms.

Oh, my -- how could I forget?  Or want to rush through days?

I need to remember.

I am blessed to be mom.