one ways


I live in this small town/suburb.  It's way on the outer fringe of a major metropolitan area.  Years ago it would have been just another small town.  Now, however, it's kind of a crossover.  Well, in my main street area they recently changed our little two lane road to two different roads...each a one way.  Now, when I leave I have to go a bit out of my way to go the right way on the one way.


I've seen people intentionally drive the wrong way.  Just to get to Dominos quicker.

As I was driving my oldest daughters to ballet this morning it got me thinking about how sometimes in life the road we are on seems to be going out of our way to get where we need to go.  Kind of like that one way.  I know where we need to end up.  Ballet.  But, I'm forced to follow these roads that take me around.

So often our journey of life seems to be full of these roads that don't make sense.  Roads that are twisted, or dark, or fast moving, or sometimes only one way.  I've been on those one-way roads.  You know, there the times when I have to deal with difficulty.  Reality that's hard.  Like cancer.  I had to journey that road.  I had no option to take another road.  We went down it.  Or maybe it's nothing as serious as cancer, but is still a one-way moment.  For me, in all reality, there have been one-ways that I've needed to go down.  Times in my life where I've need to let go of my pride.  Or the facade of perfectionism.

Oh, those are times when I wish I could try to take the short-cut like those fools that can't spend five extra minutes getting to Dominos.  I just want to hurry through the process.  I'll pray that I can just deal with it...learn..and change.  Right now.  But, often I can't.  It's this process of driving a new road, learning a new skill set, and of surrender.  And I knew that I needed to take that lane.  It was imperative.

This winter we discovered a new sledding hill.  We've lived here for years, and had no idea that this hill was here.  Where?  On that one-way.  The new road.  If I hadn't been forced to go down that road I might never have found that hill.  The hill where I took my kids this winter.  Where we trekked to the top on a glorious February afternoon.  The hill where I took my little Samuel up to the top, asleep in the infant car seat, and placed it up there, way high, perched above the one way.  That hill brought laughter.  And memories.  All because I went down a road that I didn't know I needed to go down.  Until I was forced too.

Samuel - asleep

sledding

In life there are beautiful truths that I've learned on those one-way times.  Truths about the Lord.  That He is always faithful.  That He loves me no matter what.  That I am saved.

I've also discovered determination in me that I didn't know existed.  Or compassion and empathy for others.  Or the blessing to be able to see beauty in the darkest of times.  One-ways can be good, despite the difficulties. What one way do you need to go down?  Are there truths that you need to cling to? Or moments that you need to let go of?  Or perhaps it's simply being diligent.  Waking early.  Sitting at Jesus' feet. Or it might be that your journey right now is challenging...heart-breaking.  In those times seek our Father.  Rest in His truth.  Know that He is good.  And you know what?  Pray that the Lord shows you beauty and joy while you travel that road.  He is faithful.  Alleluia!

OK.  Not a random post today.  We'll see what tomorrow brings!

One last thing...my Hannah was not able to sing yesterday.  She woke up and still had a gravely voice.  She, however, handled it very well.  In fact, she wrote a lovely post describing how she worked through the disappointment.  If you'd like to read it click here: when-we-win-and-when-we-lose

Hannah singing...she's in the green

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. (John 14:16)