some honesty & my garage sale finds

I've decided that in order to simplify I need to be honest with myself.  Part of being honest is examining our day, and our structure.  I've come to realize that I'll probably never be the super-scheduled homeschooler.  This pains me a bit to even admit it, but I'm starting to believe it's true.  As much as I crave The Managers of Their Home schedule...with all it's colored labels and charts and planning...when push comes to shove I'm just not that type of gal.  I'm more of a ...I know where you guys need to end up....so I'm going to write it down and you finish that work...but make sure you blog/design/write Hannah, and you cook Chloe, and well...that's just me.

what's the path?


It's kind of hard even talking about not being ultra-schooley (is that even a word?  Let's just pretend it is and move on.)  In fact, I really truly admire my friends that have more rigid routines.  It's hard for me to not compare myself to them. Now, know that I value academics, but I also value flexibility.  As adults we have to learn to adapt to changes in our routines.  Honestly, I think it's important that our children are able to quickly adjust to a routine that isn't normal. Ha...that's probably just my way of making myself feel better about our less-structured routine. That being said, we do have goals.  Hannah and Chloe know that they need to work each day, and accomplish so much in each book.  But, I'm not the let's do math from 9-10am then spelling from 10-10:15 type of mom.

And that still frustrates me.

Somehow I tend to think that I view the ultra-structure as succeeding and the relaxed atmosphere as not...and I'm relaxed!  I've determined that instead of fighting this I need to let-go and embrace the learning style of my home.  My children do outstanding on their tests (it's mandatory here), and yet I still fret if we don't complete everything.  A friend of mine told me that she realized that she made it an idol to complete a book by the end of the school year.  That comment really got me thinking.  Am I putting too much pressure on completing some schoolbooks for the right reason?  If it's so I feel good, then I'm thinking it's not the right reason.  If it takes away from the love of learning and dampens my childrens' spirits then, again, not an appropriate goal.  However, if we've set a goal and we're cheerfully working towards it, that is something to strive towards.

It's got me wondering what other "idols" I've created.  Is a perfectly clean house one?  A green yard?  Appearing to have it all together?  There are so many things that we can focus on which causes us to lose focus on the Lord and His focus for our lives and family.  It had, in fact, become a source of frustration for me to not match up to what I thought the ideal homeschool family looked like.  I compared and then felt I failed.  But, as my homeschooler mentor tells me,

comparison is the death of contentment.

Convicting? It is for me.  So this morning, I woke up and made my kids a treat for breakfast.  Hannah was working on her Algebra, Chloe her math, and Grace was still sleeping.  The boys were playing.  It was calm, and beautiful.  Twenty years from now I know that the memories my kids will take with them will be of waking up and smelling the aroma of breakfast...and seeing me joyful...

breakfast

_____________________________________________

One last thing...I was looking through some pictures on my facebook page and came across this picture taken  of my kids decorating Christmas cookies.  Those moments...those breaks from the normal....the freedom to create...to laugh...and to enjoy each other.... are the moments that I, as their mother, desire to facilitate. Yes, we need to be diligent in our studies, but I also need to be diligent in creating these moments for them.

decorating cookies, making memories

__________________________________

Ok...I had to come back and post my garage sale finds today.  I live in an area with fabulous, and I mean FABULOUS, garage sales.  And I'm the first to get there.  I'll get my Caribou coffee and peruse the deals.  Today I found a bunch of stuff (don't worry...it's not going to clutter my home...it was needed things and I'm having a HUGE sale in a couple of weeks) that I loved.

Here are my two favorites:

only $ 1 -- and I love gardening


cute dance bag for 25 cents


Then I have this amazing friend who gave me two of these chairs.  They're for a kids table (which I'm hunting garage sales for.  I just love them!

new fab chairs


Thanks for enjoying my finds with me!