open my eyes

I've noticed that I envy all to easily.  I was wandering through Target wishing that my cart was overflowing with stuff, and sad that I couldn't fill it with fun items. I'd look at the frames, or the pillows, or a shirt, or holiday decorations and slowly put them back.  Not today.

And I started to grumble while I walked.

My heart began to reflect discontent.


Then I became convicted to be aware that there are those wandering Target who would love the contents of my cart -- milk, bread, and fruit. Samuel  -- a child, a gift.  So humbling. Extremely humbling.

So I started to move through Target aware of those pushing the red carts around me.  I was no longer interested in the contents of their cart, but rather the individual, the person, the family around the cart.   I discovered there were many others with just milk, bread and fruit.  And that a genuine look in the eye, or a smile, or even a couple kind words changes things.

My heart began to be grateful.

I don't want to live oblivious to those around me.

I want to be a light.  To smile.  To help. To keep my eyes on Jesus -- not the things and stuff and worries of today. To be grateful.  For that bread. The milk or fruit.  The children.

And that posture helped me.  I just needed to be aware of my own heart's quickness in wandering.  About how I was allowing consumerism, or envy, or anxiety,  or discontent, or just my own selfishness to cloud my thinking. Stuff fades.  But kindness lasts.  That's what really, really matters.


O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There’s light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free!

Refrain:
Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.