crabby mom versus cheerful mom


These days between Christmas and New Years Day are interesting, aren't they?  You still have Christmas decorations up, the house is a mess (at least parts of mine.  I go to my room or the bathroom for sanctuary.  They're probably the only rooms without new toys somewhere.), the schedule is screwed up, the kids have had way too much sugar, and honestly, there isn't much of a plan.

This can make me crabby.
Like Scrooge crabby.
  
(me probably thinking about where I'm going to put those toys)

I slowly begin to remove the snowmen, and the window clings, the Christmas dishes, and crumpled paper.  The clothes gradually make their way from warm bodies to the dirty basket in the laundry room.  Toys begin to migrate from under the tree to their respected homes in various kids rooms. This will go on until the day where I've decided that I've had enough. Then within hours my home will go from looking like a mild atomic bomb went off to clean.  Very clean. At least very clean standards for a family of nine.

I'm kind of like that.  I can put up with stuff for a while and then all of a sudden I can't handle it anymore. It's a mindset -- right?

Kind of like the day I really decide to potty-train my three year old. Or go switch the summer and winter clothes.  Or purge the closets of toys.  Or clean out the cabinets and fridge.  Or clean the truck. Or deal with those over due library books. Or empty the email inbox flooded with 1024 new emails. 

I'm thinking today or for sure tomorrow is the day when I reclaim my space.  Until then?  I'll live with Legos underfoot, and Woody Dolls in the corner, and a Mario Kart figurine on my computer desk, and the sound of the Wii downstairs.  And I won't be crabby about it.  I won't.


Because I know it's just a couple of days.  And their laughter, their freedom, their  is worth more than my need for order. That's what they'll remember.

Crabby mom vs cheerful mom who doesn't mind tripping over a couple dozen new toys.

Today that's my attitude. And, yes, I'll still be slowly taking down some of those decorations that were so artfully placed throughout my home weeks ago.  And I won't complain.