not by sight

Last night I had one of those WAKE UP moments.  You know, those times in life that diverge from the norm?  Maybe it's as extreme as a tragedy or as minor as a near accident -- it's those moments where you get snapped from the normalcy of everyday and can see life from a different perspective.

part of the road to ballet on a normal day


My moment came when I drove my second daughter, Chloe, home from ballet.  Normally, this would be a minor deal.  We'd drive over a bridge, and over some hills, while we joked about life or talked about ballet or sat in silence.  But last night was different.  It was snowing.  Very, very hard.  So hard, in fact, that the back roads -- from the infamous "road to ballet" -- were not plowed.  At all.  And this is a hilly, back-country road that I take.

I couldn't see.

I could hear the nervousness in Chloe's voice when she told me she couldn't see the road.  I calmly told her that I saw it -- even though I didn't at all.  I had to stop. In the middle of the road and clean my wipers -- the snow was falling faster than even those little wipers could keep up with.  But, then right after I cleaned them,  I had to keep going.  I had NO choice. Deep down, I knew the road.  I knew it was there -- I'd driven it almost every day for 18 months.  I couldn't see it.  But, I had faith.

Isn't that like life?

We're on these roads and at times we can't see the road.  We ask the Lord, "where's the path?  Could you just show us the way?  Guide us?  Give us some direction?" And yet, we are as blind to the path as I was last night.  Yet, we keep moving.  Last night, it was simply faith that I knew the road.  But, in life, it's faith that our loving Father knows the road before us.  So we move. By faith.

the road uncovered


And sometimes, it's scary.  Or hard.  Or the path seems clouded.  Yet we keep moving, keep trusting, keep believing.  We might have to stop to clean our wiper blades -- refresh our view -- but truly, we keep moving knowing that we have a Father who loves us and care for us, and ultimately knows the road underneath all that snow.

"For we live by faith, not by sight"  2 Corinthians 5:7



************

On another note, I'm wanted to share with you that I'm  now a contributing writer for  5 Minutes For Faith.  I was honored to be asked to join their team, and have already been blessed working with them.  I'm sharing with you a link to an article I wrote titled -- Missing Pieces -- and no, it's not really about puzzle pieces, but more about pieces that we cling to and try to make sense of -- when we really should let them go. And, really it should only take you about 5 minutes to read it.  Get it?  5 minutes?  and 5 Minutes For Faith?  (okay. Now i'm just silly.  It's waaaay to early for me.)

I'd love for you to check it out -- and when you pop over there, would you leave me a comment?  (Click on my link the title Missing Pieces -- their link is broken)  I'd appreciate it -- as I'm the newbie. :)  But, don't leave without commenting here okay, okay, okay you DON'T have to.  I just like hearing from you so I thought I'd try the direct approach. Ha ha ha! -- I am, however,  SO blessed by your comments and notes of encouragement.  Thank you for taking your time and leaving them.

Blessings!