late night reminders

blurry

On December 24 I drove to Walmart at 12:05 am.  In the midst of a heavy snow-storm on unplowed roads. I made that late night trek because I had realized I was short a couple presents for my boys -- and since we celebrate Christmas with our kids on Christmas Eve morning that was the only solution that Todd and I could think of.  It was interesting -- as I was reminded to stop looking at my own life and take a moment to see someone elses.

Here's why.

~As I was driving in 4 inches of unplowed snow I came up to a minivan struggling to get up the back-country roads.  I had noticed that cars were getting frustrated at this vehicle and would race around it irritated.  I came up, slowed down, and followed this van for the next 5 miles.  When it needed room, I made room.  When cars passed I slowed down so this van would have space.  As I was driving, with only the headlights illuminating heavily falling snow, I knew I was to be patient. To serve in a way that seemed so simple.

When the van finally turned right where I needed to go straight the driver waved, with a gloved hand out the window, thanks. I wonder if that was why I needed to go out.

Who was that man? Why was he driving through the snow? I wondered.

~When I was at Walmart -- by this time it was 12:30 -- I noticed all these people wandering around, checking prices, shopping, and looking downcast.  Really.  It was this energy in the store.  I had never felt it before, and I began to think about the reasons why so many people filled the aisles on Christmas Eve morning.

When I went to pay, I pulled out change for the 2 Toy Story 3 puzzles, a couple of  Lego sets, and a checkers game.  As I was fumbling for 65cents a couple of guys behind me loudly stated -- maybe next time I should just come here and pay with a bag of pennies.  I ignored them.  My cashier looked mortified.  She mumbled an apology, and a -- merry Christmas -- and then sadly turned back to deal with those guys.

Who was she?  Why was she working in the middle of the night at Walmart?

I thought about her the entire time I drove home.  I thought about how I needed to be reminded to remember others in the midst of the holidays.  Here I was just hours before frustrated that I had to leave my warm home to buy a couple more presents to add to the already wrapped stash under our tree.  How quickly I was humbled -- how blessed I was to add extra gifts -- and just as quickly my frustration turned to thankfulness.

~So I said a prayer for that cashier.  And those impatient guys.  And the mom with the 3 kids wandering around at 12:47 am.  And the lone man in the green minivan with the bad tires.

It was a reminder to me that Christmas really isn't about all that stuff.  All that stuff that so quickly irritates us as we have to find new homes for it.  Christmas is about Jesus -- His birth.  And in remembering that it brings eyes to see others. My vision was blurry.  All I could see when I left my house was my own needs. I was selfish. I wish that I could always have my eyes open.  I wish that I could do more. Give more. Not just look at me.  When I arrived back home at 1:16 am  I could only be grateful as I wrapped those new Walmart gifts.

And remember those I met on my snowy trip to Walmart on Christmas Eve. 

clear
(thanks to my daughter, Hannah from Aspire, for both of these pictures)