it is well with my soul

This Sunday I'm sharing -- just a bit -- at the Christmas Women's Event for our church.  There's a bit of irony in my story -- as I'm sharing on peace -- and my life, at least right now, is so far from peace that I don't know how to begin.  As I raced from destination to destination today, buckling and unbuckling kids, and going over my never-ending mental to-do list I found my stress level ramping higher and higher.

And I'm to talk about peace?

Maybe it's not about December being peaceful.  Because, seriously, unless you live in the middle of nowhere with no internet, television, phone, car service, and more I don't know how December can be anything but mildly busy.  Certainly  not peaceful.


Yet, there's still peace in my heart. 

Peace found in snippets of time throughout my day.

Peace isn't about having all the ducks-in-a-row and everything quiet.  I could waste my life trying to find peace that way -- time would keep moving and instead of peace I'd be brewing bitterness, or jealousy, or sadness.  Peace is recognizing the beauty of NOW.  Enjoying the moments placed in our lives -- living fully -- and grateful. My life could be a mess and yet there still can be peace in my soul.

I just need to embrace it -- love the moments I've been blessed with.  Samuel's smile. Brennan's laughter. Hannah's singing.  Caleb's hug. Chloe's servant's heart. Elijah's silliness.  Gracie's "i love you's." Todd's faithfulness.  That's peace in the midst of everything.

The irony?  I start writing thinking my life is too crazy to have peace and I discover that my life is full of peace.   Maybe not peace like we'd imagine.  Or at least I'd imagine -- you know perfect stillness -- and yet, really, when you think of that first Christmas the setting was the farthest thing from peace.  There in a barn, with straw as a bed, perfect peace was found. Not in the environment, but in our Savior.

Beautiful.  Absolutely beautiful.

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.  And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)