same yet different

That pic below shows the temp that the truck read yesterday.  My younger kids were sunburned.  Too much slip-n-slide, and too little sunblock.  The baby was hot.  And we had just finished waiting. Waiting for 15 minutes for my youngest daughter, Grace, to emerge from her ballet class.  Waiting in a hot truck.

the temp

We had just finished picking up 16 tomato plants and 12 pepper plants from my parents that were going to be planted in my garden.  Today.  But, yesterday, the allure of new plants waiting in the back quickly wilted as the temperature rose.

my plants

Tempers began to flare, and my patience started to fade.  Once Grace arrived chaos took over.  I could feel myself becoming angry and irritated and just wanted it quiet.  Then I yelled,

Welcome ladies and gentlemen
to the Amazing Ballet Rollercoaster.
Strap in and hold on tight.
You are in for a ride of your life!!

I opened the windows and drove home -- narrating our ride -- that all too familiar ride -- as if it were the most amazing rollercoaster ride ever.  Hills that they've stared at blankly for weeks became magical.  Hannah and Chloe didn't know quite what to think -- even though their mother was telling people to hold on and acting quite silly -- they knew it was better than chaos.  By the time we were several miles from home Hannah grabbed my phone and caught some pics.  Even the skeptic realized the benefit.

Better than anarchy, right?  Yet so many times I'm too tired to change patterns and I just slip into defeat.  The irony?  It takes more energy and frustration to try and stop fighting than it did to engage them and make our drive fun.

It reminds me of my prayers.  It's so easy to vent, or complain, or plead.  But to sit with God and enjoy His presence despite the present?  A much wiser, and more inspiring, decision.  And that's what it is -- a choice.  A choice to rise above, to believe, and to live with joy -- in any circumstance.  Life is bursting with difficulties, sorrows, pains, and frustrations.  The hills and roads and paths worn with just daily life.  Despite all of that -- God is -- and seeking Him and glorifying Him is the route I ache to take.  God is here in everything -- I've just lost sight of it -- just as like the road home from ballet had lost it's excitement.  I just need to wake up, and see Him -- again.

Those roads we drove yesterday we've driven hundreds of times. 

The work is the same -- the decision different.

I'd say it's worth it.

JOY